Monday, March 26, 2007

5 Elements poster

October 08, 2004

Yay easier

http://www.egomagick.com/heartwood/archives/weekend/index.php


I stayed up until 6:45am doing my 5 Elements art project. At least it's done, out of the way, and I don't have to worry about it all week. My choices seemed to be: spend 7 hours last night busting it out in order to obtain something decent, or work twice that long over the course of the weekend and next week in order to turn in something lame.

See, in order to have it printed, shipped, and delivered on time, I had to have it to the printer this morning. Eastern Time. So it got mailed out this afternoon. And it should arrive here on Wednesday.

Since mail is only delivered here three times a week, it wouldn't have worked to have it shipped Monday.

So I did a nice 24x24 poster, digitally... the alternative was to cobble together something handmade, at a place where I have zero studio space, precious few art supplies, haven't been feeling enough creative abundance to create seriously in a physical way, and the closest art store is at least an hour away.

I think I made the best choice, but who knows. Anyway, here's what I came up with:

five_elements_poster.gif

Notice the colors in the center. They symbolize the "control cycle", for example Water controls Fire (it extinguishes it), Earth controls Water (think riverbanks), etc, so the color for Water overlays a bit of Fire's space, the color for Earth overlays ab it of Water's space, etc.

The thing I realized after finishing is that the shape in the center, the pentagon, is the Discordian symbol for control. So I was really pleased with that bit of unconscious symbolizing.

You can download a PDF version if you'd like to print a copy for yourself. Just don't sell it or try to turn it in like you did it ;-)


No comments: